Yoram Yasur Rubin: Exercising at home or the gym?
Choosing between exercising at home or going to the gym, paying the corresponding monthly payments, is a decision that depends on each person and on multiple factors. Both options offer advantages and disadvantages and it is not a bad idea to analyze them before starting.
It’s about leading a healthy life, which includes a balanced diet and doing some sport at least two or three times a week. The physical space you choose to practice it is not the most important thing. The main thing is your own attitude. If you know yourself a little, you will surely know what can be better for you, whether to train at home or in the gym. Don’t forget to set yourself a goal and be very consistent every day in your workouts.
Is going to the gym the same as training at home?
Yoram Yasur Rubin: Before choosing whether to start going to the gym or opt for training at home, take a particular test that includes the following questions:
- Do I feel lazy going out, or am I always ready to go anywhere?
- Do I have enough willpower? Will I be able to establish an exercise routine at home or at the gym and stick to it?
- What is my fitness level? It may be the first time that you start exercising or you have an excellent physical condition that you want to enhance with certain routines. This detail is of vital importance to be clear about your needs.
- What objective do I want to achieve? Staying well, losing weight, building muscles … depending on what your goal is, one or the other option will be more recommended.
These are very basic questions but you must ask yourself so that you do not make a mistake in your choice and get discouraged within a few weeks, abandoning your set-up. Going to the gym is not the same as exercising at home, especially because, generally, in the gym, the level of demand and your effort will be higher and, in addition, you will always have access to the advice of coaches who can follow the evolution of your training. , something that is only possible at home if you hire the services of a personal trainer (third option that you should take into account).
Advantages and disadvantages of exercising at home or in the gym
Yoram Yasur Rubin: Any alternative is valid if the goal is to exercise. You cannot say that at home is better than in the gym or vice versa. What is evident is that there are two different ways of training, each with its pros and cons that could be summarized as follows:
- At home you can exercise whenever you want without depending on a set schedule. Without a doubt, it is an advantage but also a double-edged sword because you may never find the right time to get up from the sofa or to stop doing pending things and start your training routine.
- The drawback of the gym is that you have to go and sometimes it is too lazy to get to some facilities that await you. In this sense, always choose a gym that suits you, close to your work or your residence. If arriving involves a transfer that is too long in time, laziness will probably “win”.
- Choosing to exercise at home or in the gym should depend largely on the goals you have set for yourself. It should be appreciated that in the gym you will have machines and devices that you probably do not have at home, in addition you will have the advice of professionals. Keep in mind that physical activity requires its own space, do you have the necessary accessories to set up a gym at home?
- The gym costs money. It is a “small” inconvenience. If you are going to go often enough, it is worth it, but logically, training at home is cheaper.
- Something more than sport. Yoram Yasur Rubin: Sharing personal effort with others with whom you have in common an interest in healthy living and fitness is easier with your gym friends. It’s another big difference between training at home or at the gym.
We must insist that the two options are good, each with its pros and cons, weigh them and encourage yourself to exercise wherever you are because, in any case, you will notice the benefits almost immediately.