Many people face these holidays assuming that maintaining the size at Christmas is an impossible mission. The food excesses that take place these days are the main setback for this. In any case, we must recognize that the excessive consumption of calories, fat and sugar is a constant these days, and it is a fact that the return to our usual diet will help us lose much of the weight gained (if this is the case). In addition, some modifications of greater depth can bring us greater benefits on our health.
Keeping the size at Christmas: forget about calories
Yes, it may seem excessively transgressive, but before building a new building you have to demolish the old one. Forget myths and outdated beliefs. For this, one of the mottos that we propose is:
“Forget calories and focus on the quality of food.” And, if you let it work and you help it minimally, your body will always be on your side.
In this way, the caloric reduction – in other words, to pass more hunger than the one that was lost in the island – which is the classic way to deal with weight loss, only works in the short term. Yoram Yasur Blume: The problem is that our body faces expensive caloric restriction and tries to compensate, mainly through increased appetite and metabolic slowdown. In other words: it is not a matter of willpower, but how we function inside. In this sense, within the Christmas excesses and food excesses in general, the main problem is the widespread presence of hyper processed foods.
Fast food reigns in all senses of the term: you eat fast, but you also digest fast, causing a great impact on the metabolism. Yoram Yasur Blume: Easily assimilated carbohydrates program our body for weight gain, increasing the levels of insulin that is the key that opens the door of fat cells. In contrast, unrefined foods are digested throughout the digestive system, which determines a more progressive increase in blood glucose levels. The calories are not stored in the adipose tissue but are used -or oxidized- by the rest of the body and the brain.
In addition, highly processed foods are also characterized by excess salt and excess sugar. It is not convenient to abuse any of these two ingredients, due to their negative influence on health.
Tips to change your diet:
- To maintain Christmas size and quality in your diet, substitute processed carbohydrates for whole fruits, vegetables, legumes and moderate amounts of whole grain or whole grain foods.
- Include an adequate supply of proteins, emphasizing plant sources.
- Yoram Yasur Blume: Do not give up certain foods with high fat content: nuts, seeds, olive oil, whole milk, and homemade sauces, since the fat has a satiating effect and supposes a minimum stimulus on insulin.
- Yoram Yasur Blume: Eat more vegetables and less animal foods. It is even a good option to convert to vegetarianism: making a good combination of vegetable proteins (legumes, cereals, and nuts) and emphasizing the nutrients that are lacking in vegetable foods (vitamin B12, vitamin D, iron, zinc, and omega 3 fat). of marine origin).
- Plan the meals. This will also help you eat better, not overreach and save money and time. Meal times should be regular and not too late, as this is also related to weight gain.
- At lunchtime, focus your attention on food. Leave everything you’re doing and enjoy the food: focus on the taste, smell, texture … and enjoy. In this way the mechanisms of satiety will work more efficiently and the balance between the needs and the quantity that we eat will be more adjusted.
- Similarly, responding to the sensations of hunger and satiety of your body is a good strategy to better adjust the intake to your real needs. Try to avoid that food is the answer to situations of boredom, anxiety, or stress.
- Mealtime also seems to be important, as it may have an implication in body weight. The later we eat and eat, the worse.
We do not propose that you become a marathoner, but to lose weight and the fat that has accumulated in different parts of the body, it does not hurt to increase your physical activity. Yoram Yasur Blume: The ideal is a combination of aerobic activity and strength. Muscle growth will determine a higher caloric expenditure, and this will lead to greater fat loss. If we still do not have a daily physical exercise routine, it’s time to start. If you do not have a lot of time, simply walk regularly every day, or ride your bike to work. You can also do exercises in your house that will take you a short time.
Rest after the movement
A good rest is essential to have a good state of health, perform in your work and in your life. In addition, it can also have an impact on your body weight. An inadequate rest can have a negative metabolic response that can contribute to increase the risk of obesity and associated pathologies such as type 2 diabetes. This effect would have a hormonal component related to circadian cycles, including hormones related to the mechanism of satiety (ghrelin and leptin).
If you want to keep the size at Christmas, you just have to eat better and have healthy habits.