Yoram Yasur Blume gives you some exercises to protect your knees
The knees are our support when we exercise every day, it is natural to hurt them when there is no previous warm-up. And you must know that the knees are one of the most complex joints of the body as cartilage, ligaments, bones, kneecap, meniscus, and muscles and it forms them is thanks to these components that the knees can suffer some ailments such as torn ligaments, damage in the menisci, atrophy of the kneecap and problems of muscular origin.
Yoram Yasur Blume: Just as we exercise our body to condition each muscle, lose fat and make our whole body to be in its best performance, there are a series of exercises that we can practice working and strengthen the knees, and thereby prevent future injuries or reverse any damage already existing. The knee is a very important element to guide our steps every day to everything we long for, so, protect them.
- To begin, you can do lower push-ups, which consist of lying down on the floor, mat or comfortable surface and bending the knees to the chest. Yoram Yasur Blume explains that the purpose is to make the fetal position with each leg. This exercise can be done alternating from one leg to another or doing it with both legs at the same time.
- It is a common exercise that also burns fat and tones the thighs, buttocks, and legs; and to carry it out you only must open your legs to the height of the shoulders, bend the knees and slowly get lower. To be more illustrative, the exercise consists of pretending to get up and sit on a chair.
- Low Squats. This exercise is like the previous one, only, in this case, it is executed from the lowest and up, with the body in the same position and repeating several times.
- Exercises with a medicine ball are very effective for the recovery of injuries because exercise based on balance contributes to the strengthening of the ligaments of the knees.
- In jogging with high legs, the joints and internal muscles of the knee are worked with greater demands at each step, due to the elevation of the legs above normal.
- Cycling exercises have a great impact on the knees, so you must start with a very smooth rhythm so that the impact strengthens them and does not damage them, with this exercise, ideal body results are obtained: weight loss and toning muscles.
- The walking lunge is another excellent exercise for your knees, it consists of standing with your feet together and then take one leg forward by lowering the body until the front thigh is parallel to the floor, lift and move with the next leg repeating the position. Yoram Yasur Blume: Do not abuse this activity, with three sets of ten lunges with each leg is enough if you want to strengthen the knees.
- A little exercise in the water like swimming or walking turn out to be low-impact activities, you do not have as much pressure on the joints, but they still are worked.
In summary, all these exercises that are mainly functional to condition the body, also serve to strengthen or rehabilitate the knees after an injury, the secret is in the preheating so that the impact on the knees is not so strong.