Yoram Yasur Blume: How are physical and emotional well-being linked?
The mind and the body are inseparable. In fact, it is well known that the disease is often accompanied by feelings of sadness, frustration, anxiety, or depression. What is less recognized is that such emotions can also affect health, which demonstrates the way in which physical and emotional well-being are linked.
It is possible that at some point in your life you have suffered an unforeseen event that has caused you not to be physically well, such as an injury or an accident. Yoram Yasur Blume: This will have allowed you to verify that, in most cases, physical discomfort carries negative feelings. Regarding emotions, you should know that those that are experienced freely and expressed without judgment or attachment tend to flow without affecting health. On the contrary, emotions that are repressed, especially fearful or negative, can affect mental health. Also, there are studies that show that each emotion has an impact on a certain area of the body. This explains that all basic emotions, from anger to sadness, have a body correlation.
How are physical and emotional well-being linked?
Yoram Yasur Blume: The first thing you should know is that physical well-being refers to the balanced functioning of the multiple components of the organism. On the other hand, a person who has good emotional well-being means that he maintains a positive attitude, has a high self-esteem, is satisfied with life, and communicates and connects regularly with other people, among other things.
Likewise, emotionally healthy people feel control of their emotions when faced with challenges without feeling overwhelmed. To prevent emotions from affecting physical well-being, we propose to adopt certain mechanisms. For example, you can carry out relaxation activities such as walking, reading, listening to music, doing yoga, or meditating. In the same way, it is advisable to evaluate situations with peace of mind in order to cope better with negative emotions. You should not be afraid to share the emotions that are lodged inside with other people.
How does physical well-being affect emotions?
Yoram Yasur Blume: Feeling good physically is fundamental to seeing life in a positive way. Therefore, as long as the body respects it, it is highly recommended to practice physical exercise. Certainly, regular physical activity has many benefits for mental well-being. In addition, it has a stimulating effect on mood and improves concentration.
Physical well-being also has long-term benefits, including reducing the likelihood that you will suffer from depression, anxiety or stress and improving the quality of sleep. This shows the relationship between physical well-being and emotions. However, the opposite can also happen.
How do emotions affect physical well-being?
Yoram Yasur Blume: Emotions are the cause of your well-being or physical discomfort. Therefore, we want to take this opportunity to explain how feelings can affect and how these are translated in the body:
- Depression and melancholy affect the large intestine, skin and lungs, whose common symptoms are constipation, low blood oxygen count and breathing difficulties.
- Mistrust, anxiety, and worry can lead to poor digestion and difficulty in waste disposal. These emotions generally have a negative effect on the stomach, spleen, and pancreatic health.
- Impatience and hatred can affect intestinal and heart health. The most common symptoms are palpitations, chest pain and hypertension.
- Fear affects the urinary bladder, kidneys, and ears. The most common symptoms are poor sexual resistance, nervous system disorders, excess acid production in the body and abdominal knots.
- Envy, frustration, and anger have a negative effect on the eyes, the gallbladder, and the liver. Common symptoms include detoxification hindered due to stagnant blood in the liver, excess cholesterol, and poor digestion due to the production of unbalanced bile.
How can you take care of your physical and emotional well-being?
Personal well-being depends on a healthy mind and body. Therefore, you should take time to nourish both. We take this opportunity to give you some tips that will help you strengthen your mental and physical health:
- Eat well. A healthy and regular diet is good for the body and mind.
- Go to bed on time. Losing sleep is bad for the heart, it can make you gain weight and definitely raise the irritability meter.
- If you fall, get back up. Resilience in the face of adversity is a gift that will continue to benefit you both mentally and physically.
- Go out and play. You should take some time to relax and socialize, as it is good for emotional and physical health.
- Some studies have shown that exercise improves your mood and has integral benefits for your physical and mental health.
Finally, remember that it is important to learn to relax and overcome stress to obtain greater physical well-being. Thinking positive and trying to be happy is the best way to achieve it. We also suggest you practice other techniques, such as meditation or yoga, that will help you find a balance between body and mind.