Yoram Yasur Blume: How to detect the beginning of Alzheimer’s?
Since this disease usually affects older adults, it is natural to ask: is it possible to detect the Alzheimer’s principle? How can I know when to take my family member to a doctor’s office? Recall that Alzheimer’s disease is known to be caused by the degeneration of brain cells and decrease in the mass of this organ. Consequently, this causes memory loss and affects behavior and, therefore, social relations. The importance of early diagnosis is that, although Alzheimer’s has no cure, the doctor can prescribe medications to control the progression of Alzheimer’s and relieve certain symptoms.
Detect the principle of Alzheimer: Is it possible?
There is research aimed at discovering the onset of this disease early. However, there are still no conclusive methods. What can be seen is the appearance of some symptoms. If these symptoms are concurrent; that is, they occur at the same time or period, what is recommended is to go immediately to a specialist. Yoram Yasur Blume: The neurologist will be responsible for confirming or not this disease and could control and make its development less rapid.
A progressive disease:
Unfortunately, Alzheimer’s worsens as time goes by. It has stages in its development that can be identified. At the beginning the disease is in its mild stage. During this period the person can become a little slower. In colloquial terms, the person loses his ability to speak. You can also get lost in a conversation and have difficulty following the arguments of your own as well as the interlocutor. On the other hand, the patient may lose energy and feel exhaustion. In addition to having difficulties to learn new concepts or tasks. Yoram Yasur Blume: These symptoms may not be recognized and confused with the normal aging process.
What are the symptoms?
There are other symptoms in the moderate stage of the disease that are more characteristic and, therefore, easier to identify.
– Loss of recent memory: Yoram Yasur Blume: A recurrent symptom in people who have Alzheimer’s is the loss of immediate memory. They do not remember what they said a moment ago or they repeatedly ask the same thing. They also tend to forget where they have left some objects. In contrast, patients with Alzheimer’s can remember events that are more distant in time.
– Loss of sense of space and time: Yoram Yasur Blume: The dates are deleted, and other references are lost, such as the seasons of the year, for example. In view of this, a person with Alzheimer’s can also easily get lost, as he forgets how he arrived at a certain place or what paths he took.
– Complications in reasoning: Yoram Yasur Blume: Problems arise in reasoning or thinking with numbers and it is impossible to fulfill an agenda. The sequential rationing is altered. Therefore, they find it difficult to do accounts or activities that take steps, such as cooking.
– Limitations on compliance with ordinary activities: Difficulty to bathe, to return home, to move to do a work activity, et cetera.
– Disorders of humor: Depressive disorders, self-absorption, are common, presenting features of anxiety or irritability. In general, the personality of the Alzheimer’s patient changes.
– Confusions with images and objects: Alterations in the visual field are also common. There are complications in reading, problems with the distance between things or with the perception of colors.
– Loss of proficiency for the use of language: There are difficulties in articulating the words coherently and, often, many confusions arise. A common behavior in people with Alzheimer’s is to stop in a conversation to try to remember the name of something. In these cases, the effort to remember is remarkable and may not bear fruit. A patient with Alzheimer’s also invents new words, since he does not find the correct word to name a certain thing.
– Criterion and good judgment start disappearing: A person suffering from Alzheimer’s can give money without reason to family or strangers or give excessive amounts when paying. Also withdraw from an establishment without waiting for the change. In more advanced stages, it is impossible for the affected person to decide. Detecting the Alzheimer’s principle can be complicated. Not all symptoms occur at the same time or in the same way in all people.
The most advisable thing is to go to a specialist when symptoms are observed that could be warning of a possible Alzheimer’s principle. First, to rule out other diseases. Second, to start an appropriate treatment. Don’t forget that part of a good health is mental health, stay close to your family and friends at home is an important fact to keep maximum wellness possible.